Common icon names (Was: Common icon themes)

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Mon Nov 25 14:13:22 GMT 2002

On Sat, 23 Nov 2002, Vadim Plessky wrote:

> On Saturday 23 November 2002 12:12 am, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> |  On Friday 22 November 2002 18:07, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> |  > On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 07:09:19PM +0300, Vadim Plessky wrote:
> |  > > An y reason why we can't make icon names standrard, at least for
> |  > > most-widely-used icons?
> |  >
> |  > Alex suggested that but didn't get much support:
> |  >
> |  > https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/xdg-list/2002-September/000717.html
> |  >
> |  > I am 100% in favor of it personally.
> |
> |  One can start with prefixing everything with kde- and gnome- resp. and
> | then go over them and standardize matching ones. Most of Alex's suggestions
> | look very reasonable to me.
> |
> |  I don't think the "mime-", "fs-" and "app-" prefixes are needed though, we
> |  already have the following hierarchy (in KDE at least):
> |
> |  icons/<themename>/NNxNN/actions
> |  icons/<themename>/NNxNN/apps
> |  icons/<themename>/NNxNN/devices
> |  icons/<themename>/NNxNN/filesystems
> |  icons/<themename>/NNxNN/mimetypes
> |
> |  With NNxNN the size, 16x16, 22x22, etc.
> |
> |  So the location determines the type.
>
> During my work on a set of SVG icons, I expereinced problem of scaling SVg to
> 16x16 and 22x22 sizes (bigger sizes scale ok, IMO).
> I did several attempts with relayout of elements, making them bigger, etc. -
> but nothing helps.
> Lauris Kaplinski (of Sodipodi fame) suggested that objects (paths) for
> rendering at small size should be manually grid-fitted, to one-pixel-size
> grid... (this is*terrible*, I guess renderer should do this, but there is no
> such renderer available)
> I exeprienced a little bit with it, and indeed this works (not perfectly but I
> get much better results comparing to what I had before).
>
> So, what I try to do now is to create XXX-small.svg for every XXX.svg icon, so
> that XXX-small.svg would be rendered better at small sizes.
> Can we implement some standard way to make icon manager aware of this fact?
> (it should pickup XXX-small for small sizes, and XXX.svg for bigger sizes)

This can be done according to the spec by making two directories with
Type=Scalable and then having different values for MaxSize and MinSize for
the directories.

I don't know if the KDE implementation handles this, but i believe so.

Another way to handle this is to have pre-rendered versions of the icon at
small sizes, and place those directories before the scalable one in the
theme.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's an impetuous bohemian gentleman spy with a secret. She's a pregnant
motormouth journalist from the wrong side of the tracks. They fight crime!