XCursor patch

Fredrik Höglund fredrik at kde.org
Sun Nov 24 19:31:32 GMT 2002

On Saturday 23 November 2002 18:51, Zack Rusin wrote:
> On Saturday 23 November 2002 08:05, Fredrik Höglund wrote:
> > I've been planning to ask the KDE artists to create redglass
> > versions of the missing cursors once the artwork for KDE 3.1
> > is finished, and then send them to Keith along with a patch
> > that adds the necessary symlinks for KDE and Qt.
>
> I just fail to see how is that a cleaner solution that just making Qt
> call XCreateFontCursor to create cursors, which it does when
> QT_USE_APPROXIMATE_CURSORS is defined.

Because with XCreateFontCursor() you only have access to the
cursors defined in X11/cursorfont.h. Many of the cursors in Qt
such as the resizing cursors used by KWin aren't available in that
file, but will be added to the cursor themes. With your patch
applied Qt won't be able to use them when that happens.
Without it it will.

And making Qt call XCreateFontCursor() is just a hack. You're
replacing a call to one deprecated function with a call to another.
Qt should call XcursorLibraryLoadCursor() to load the cursors.

Regards,
Fredrik