Common icon names (Was: Common icon themes)

Vadim Plessky plessky at cnt.ru
Sat Nov 23 13:28:48 GMT 2002

On Saturday 23 November 2002 12:12 am, Waldo Bastian wrote:
|  On Friday 22 November 2002 18:07, Havoc Pennington wrote:
|  > On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 07:09:19PM +0300, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|  > > An y reason why we can't make icon names standrard, at least for
|  > > most-widely-used icons?
|  >
|  > Alex suggested that but didn't get much support:
|  >
|  > https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/xdg-list/2002-September/000717.html
|  >
|  > I am 100% in favor of it personally.
|
|  One can start with prefixing everything with kde- and gnome- resp. and
| then go over them and standardize matching ones. Most of Alex's suggestions
| look very reasonable to me.
|
|  I don't think the "mime-", "fs-" and "app-" prefixes are needed though, we
|  already have the following hierarchy (in KDE at least):
|
|  icons/<themename>/NNxNN/actions
|  icons/<themename>/NNxNN/apps
|  icons/<themename>/NNxNN/devices
|  icons/<themename>/NNxNN/filesystems
|  icons/<themename>/NNxNN/mimetypes
|
|  With NNxNN the size, 16x16, 22x22, etc.
|
|  So the location determines the type.

During my work on a set of SVG icons, I expereinced problem of scaling SVg to
16x16 and 22x22 sizes (bigger sizes scale ok, IMO).
I did several attempts with relayout of elements, making them bigger, etc. -
but nothing helps.
Lauris Kaplinski (of Sodipodi fame) suggested that objects (paths) for
rendering at small size should be manually grid-fitted, to one-pixel-size
grid... (this is*terrible*, I guess renderer should do this, but there is no
such renderer available)
I exeprienced a little bit with it, and indeed this works (not perfectly but I
get much better results comparing to what I had before).

So, what I try to do now is to create XXX-small.svg for every XXX.svg icon, so
that XXX-small.svg would be rendered better at small sizes.
Can we implement some standard way to make icon manager aware of this fact?
(it should pickup XXX-small for small sizes, and XXX.svg for bigger sizes)

|  Other than that, I think the desktops should prefix all their icons with
|  "kde-" resp. "gnome-", while 3rd party apps should use "<appname>-". Once
| we standardize an icon name we can prefix it with "xdg-".

Well, prefixing icon names doesn't look like very good idea to me.
Just imagine, we would have:
  kde-mail-reply.png
and
  gnome-mail-reply.png
which may look like different (in icon theme), and those icons would be
different to the user.  This would create a lot of confusion.
May be, we just should try to come out with standard icon names?..