Common icon names (Was: Common icon themes)

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Fri Nov 22 21:12:49 GMT 2002

On Friday 22 November 2002 18:07, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 07:09:19PM +0300, Vadim Plessky wrote:
> > An y reason why we can't make icon names standrard, at least for
> > most-widely-used icons?
>
> Alex suggested that but didn't get much support:
>
>  https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/xdg-list/2002-September/000717.html
>
> I am 100% in favor of it personally.

One can start with prefixing everything with kde- and gnome- resp. and then go
over them and standardize matching ones. Most of Alex's suggestions look very
reasonable to me.

I don't think the "mime-", "fs-" and "app-" prefixes are needed though, we
already have the following hierarchy (in KDE at least):

icons/<themename>/NNxNN/actions
icons/<themename>/NNxNN/apps
icons/<themename>/NNxNN/devices
icons/<themename>/NNxNN/filesystems
icons/<themename>/NNxNN/mimetypes

With NNxNN the size, 16x16, 22x22, etc.

So the location determines the type.

Other than that, I think the desktops should prefix all their icons with
"kde-" resp. "gnome-", while 3rd party apps should use "<appname>-". Once we
standardize an icon name we can prefix it with "xdg-".

Cheers,
Waldo