Common icon themes

Vadim Plessky plessky at cnt.ru
Fri Nov 22 16:09:19 GMT 2002

On Thursday 21 November 2002 5:50 pm, Havoc Pennington wrote:
|  On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 04:01:52AM -0500, Alexander Larsson wrote:
|  > > I totally agree with your idea but still have one question. Imagine I
|  > > want to create an icon theme that would provide icons for both KDE and
|  > > GNOME. I suppose that, according to your suggestion, I should create -
|  > > say - only 1 icon for mozilla and it will be used by both. OK. Now,
|  > > imagine that my icon theme provides a icon for the "print" action in
|  > > the toolbar. Is it enough to provide only one icon for that and it
|  > > will appear in KDE apps' toolbars as well as GNOME stock bars ? Or
|  > > should I put 2 icons (for example gnome_print.png and kde_print.png) ?
|  > > I must admit I'm a little confused by the toolbar icons' problem.
|  >
|  > You would have to create two of them, as there is currently no
|  > standardization on the naming of icons, or how they are supposed to be
|  > used.
|
|  Well, to clarify, you would have to put the icon under two names. It
|  could be the same icon. (Probably should be.)

An y reason why we can't make icon names standrard, at least for
most-widely-used icons?

We have at a moment (in KDE icon themes) something like this:

$ ls mail*.svg
mail_find.svg*
mail_forward.svg*
mail_generic.svg*
mail_get.svg*
mail_new.svg*
mail_post_to.svg*
mail_replyall.svg*
mail_replylist.svg*
mail_reply.svg*
mail_send.svg*

There is nothing KMail-specific in those names.
So, I guess such *generic* names for icons can be reused by Evolution, and
other MUAs.
Same is valid for filesystem/mimetypes icons.

Desktop-specific (apps-unique) icons can be left without standartization (like
noatun* icons, for Noatun player)