no grabbing [was: Re: QXEmbed grabbing mouse]

Matthias Ettrich ettrich at trolltech.com
Thu Nov 21 16:05:51 GMT 2002

On Thursday 21 November 2002 00:39, Owen Taylor wrote:
> I don't really have enough context here, but certainly focus shold be
> fully handled in both the the original XEMBED protocol and the revised
> version that I posted last spring.
>
> When the client app needs to get the focus, what it does is send a
> XEMBED_REQUEST_FOCUS event to the embedder, and the embedder responds
> by giving focus to the client.
>
> See:
>
>  http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/xembed/html/messages.html
>
> As I recall, this worked properly in my test app for QXEmbed within
> QXEmbed as well as in mixed QXEmbed/GTK+ embedding.
>
> Regards,
>                                         Owen

The mouse grabbing stuff needs to go away. Sorry for not having tracked
commits to qxembed lately.

I still have plans to commit a full implementaiton of the latest spec, but the
old one at least should work.

Mouse grabbing to track focus should not be necessary. That used to work.
There is XEMBED_REQUEST_FOCUS, if the embedded app does not support it, you
can find workarounds. But those should *not* be for all qxembed clients, but
only for non-xembed clients like Java applets.

Please don't mess up qxembed for java. Rather make a subclass of it that does
evil grabbing stuff if that's necessary.

Matthias