3.13rc3 has wrong configure

Michael Matz matz at kde.org
Wed Nov 20 15:49:24 GMT 2002

Hi,

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Maik Hertha wrote:

> The configure-script of artsd-1.1.0 (and kdestuff) seems to have a
> wrong implementation of kdesuff.
> If I define a --enable-libsuffix=32 I got no lib32. If I define a
> --disable-libsuffix or --enable-libsuffix=no I got a libno :-(.
>  There will be a wrong test. What has the existance of lib64 to do
> with the compilation of a library. There should be a test with the
> depending libraries (qt or qt-mt)
> I have enclosed a patch to solve the first two mistakes. The test for
> the depending library will come soon. (Hope so ;-)

This patch is against an autogenerated file (the real source is
admin/acinclude.m4.in the KDE_CHECK_LIB64 macro).  That having said, I
will not accept (but will oppose strongly) any further patches which try
to hack around this problem even more instead of solving it The Right Way.

The Right Way is (nearly) to test the object files produced by the current
compiler for being 32 or 64 bit, and accordingly set the suffix (after
testing if such suffix exists at all, which hasn't to be the case on e.g.
64bit only platforms).  Alternatively testing the verbose compiler
command to look which directory it searches by default.

Additionally in the different places where explicit directories are
searched for library existance, "dir/lib{$suffix}" should be searched
first, then "dir/lib", so to have a fall back (not really necessary if
$suffix is empty).

Ciao,
Micha.