Oh well...

Eva Brucherseifer eva at kde.org
Wed Nov 20 14:56:39 GMT 2002

On Wednesday 20 November 2002 01:19, Michael Brade wrote:
> On Monday 18 November 2002 18:55, Vadim Plessky wrote:
> > There is no problem with "multi-color" or "multi-object" icons.
> > Problem is *how* colors used ;-)
>
> Yep...
>
> > From my understanding, many of Crystal icons use gradients for stroke
> > (path surrounding internal part of object).
> > This is 'no-no' for icon being rednered at 32x32 or 48x48 size.
> > Such nifty effect can look well on 128x128 icon, but at smaller sizes:
> > * edges are disappearing (that's my major concern over existing Crystal
> > implementation)
> > * due to resizing effect and gradients for strokes, colors are blurring
> > into each other, so you get terrible mixture of unpleasant colors.
>
> ...however, this is what I like about Crystal, the gradients. Makes it look
> not only 3D but gives the whole desktop a new character :) Actually, I
> don't have a problem with this, it's just that a few icons are kinda
> "wrong" per design... Just IMHO.

I'd like to second that. The overall design is really great and there is no
problem of usability. Tackat did a great job on the icons and I know, it's no
easy job. It's only some icons with problems and I'd like to call the
problems "bugs", since I think that a bad icon is like a broken functionality
in the code.
My main concerns with the current icons ar those:
- kcontrol: Why don't you just take the green card with a wrench? You already
used the wrench in the K menu for several things, so it would be a nice
analogy.
- the new home button in konqueror looks somewhat out of place.
- the mail buttons (forward, reply, etc.) are very hard to distinguish on a
15" TFT with 16x16 icons, because the arrows are so little.

Greetings,
eva