KDE malloc SIGSEGV with PerlQt bindings + KDE themes

Germain Garand germain at ebooksfrance.com
Tue Nov 19 22:30:08 GMT 2002

Le Mardi 19 Novembre 2002 15:00, Maks Orlovich a écrit :

> > If the apps segfault on exit, it is most likely kthemestyle's linking to
> > kdecore that is causing the problem (KStaticDeleter again most
> > likely). You should not have any problems with all other style plugins
> > that do not link to kdecore.
>
> This is worse - take a look at the bt a bit more carefully.  It's during
> construction of QMainWindow and the demand-load of the style - a free is
> invoked from the kdecore's malloc package, likely on a heap that is managed
> by glibc malloc

That's what I thought too... I was surprised to see that the KDE malloc was
used at all

> (Germain - does the main app link to kdelibs? I am guessing
> not).

No, it does not, indeed. Libsmokeqt bindings are Qt only, and that's what
PerlQt uses.

> Which, if I understand the specs on dlopen correctly (for which there
> is a very high chance that I don't),  is very much not supposed to happen,
> since the search order for free() should find the glibc one all the time,
> since it's the "oldest known". At any rate, I could try dropping the
> kdecore dependency from KThemeStyle again -- but that would require
> duplicating code from KStandardDirs....

It seems that compiled C++ apps don't suffer from it, but bindings are so much
more composite and fragile...
Richard Dale once said he experienced similar themes segfaults with the Java
bindings, though I don't know if it was the same problem.
Anyway, I'd say having rock solid styles is so fundamental its probably worth
a bit of duplication :-/

Germain