Common icon themes

Antonio Larrosa Jiménez larrosa at kde.org
Mon Nov 18 17:40:33 GMT 2002

El Domingo, 17 de Noviembre de 2002 22:48, Olaf Jan Schmidt escribió:

> Hi!

Hello,

> As the perspectives between Antnonio and Alexander seems to be quite
> incompatible with each other at the moment, I hope I fill the gap with
> a simple proposal.
>
> How about keeping Antonio's original concept of storing CVS app icons in
> crystalsvg, but adding symlinks of all icons to hicolor, so Gnome and
> all other desktops find a "neutral" KDE icon for every app?
>
> [Antonio Larrosa]
>
> > About the proposals, I still think your proposal is not acceptable
> > because on one hand, it breaks the icon theme concept (already
> > explained)
>
> If I understand the Gnome perspective correctly, a neutral icon for
> _every_ KDE application is required, if the namespaces of KDE and are to
> be seperated.
>
> I see your problems with dublicating the icons, but there is a reason
> Alexander does is not satisfied with the proposal of adding crystalcvg
> to the gnome icon search tree.

This could be done just for gnome apps requesting to use
"other-desktop-icons" (that is, the panel, the desktop, and nautilus
mainly). And also, when an app requests this, it would be possible
(depending on the implementation of icon themes, I suppose) to add only
the apps directory of the kdedefault icon theme.
That way we keep just one symlink instead of 844 symlinks (counted).

> > and also it puts double work on the artists and they (he)
> > already told me they don't want to mantain two icon themes.
>
> Symlinking all apps icons of crystalsvg to hicolor would do the job.

I'm sorry, but I think 844 symlinks is excesive.

> [Alexander Larsson]
>
> > My hard requirements are:
> >
> > 1) For any icon name referenced in an application desktop file, Gnome
> > and KDE has to be able to get *some* icon, if one exists. It doesn't
> > matter exactly from what theme it is.
> >
> > 2) In the namespace of icons that gets exposed to both KDE and Gnome
> > there are only application icons (and possibly later other kinds if we
> > manage to standardize more usages of icon themes).
>
> [...]
>
> > Your proposal breaks requirement 2, and is therefore unacceptable to
> > me.
>
> Your points are definately valid.

Ok, then gnome should just follow the kdedefault symlink when requesting an
apps icon. It's basically the same idea than yours but with a single
symlink. (and kde should follow the gnomedefault symlink only when
requesting an apps icons too). Does it make more sense now Alexander?

> > So, it seems that we are unable to come to an agreement. I don't know
> > what to do about this. I guess this means its up to users and
> > distributions to fix this as best they can.
>
> Well, they might still use my symlinking proposal to easily fix things.

As a last resort, your symlinking proposal may be used even after 3.1 is
released (just using a simple script to create all the symlinks), but I
hope we come to a better solution really soon now.

Greetings,

--
Antonio Larrosa Jimenez
KDE core developer - larrosa at kde.org
http://devel-home.kde.org/~larrosa/
The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.