Clipboard selection - solution(?)

Jörg Walter ehrlich at ich.bin.kein.hoschi.de
Fri Nov 15 23:22:28 GMT 2002

On Friday 15 November 2002 22:52, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Friday 15 November 2002 14:00, Lubos Lunak wrote:

> > > i strongly disagree ... what's your argument against it? i often use
> > > it.
> >
> >  I disagree too, 1) should be IMHO no, even though I don't really insist
> > (does somebody really use Shift+arrows->MMB paste?).
>
> Yes, here !
> for select larger texts (including scrolling using shift+pg down) and then
> pasting them somewhere.

Well, finally I can't keep silent anymore. I am very happy that it seems like
we finally get a well-thought,useful and balanced selection/clipboard
behaviour in KDE. I want to raise just one minor point:
While we have a way to mouse-paste keyboard selections (clipboard through
RMB/Paste, selection through MMB) and keyboard-paste the clipboard, there is
no (global standard) way to keyboard-paste the selection. Konsole has
Shift-Control-Insert and it is incredibly useful to me. IMHO this should be
possible in every application. Wherever Shift-Insert would paste CLIPBOARD,
make some other key paste PRIMARY in exactly the same way as CLIPBOARD would
have been pasted.
I definitely support mixing mouse and keyboard - sometimes it does happen that
you make a selection using one device and later have your hands ready at the
other device (think of selected text in KHTML, to be used in konsole, kate or
another mostly-keyboard app). More importantly, there are apps where only one
way of marking is possible (xterm-like apps, for example). Of course, this
would be a feature for advanced users - people not knowing MMB don't need to
know about Shift-Ctrl-Insert either.

--
CU
  Joerg

PGP Public Key at http://ich.bin.kein.hoschi.de/~trouble/public_key.asc
PGP Key fingerprint = D34F 57C4 99D8 8F16 E16E  7779 CDDC 41A4 4C48 6F94