Clipboard selection - solution(?)

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Fri Nov 15 14:52:21 GMT 2002

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 02:00:13PM +0100, Lubos Lunak wrote:

> > > 1) yes
> >
> > i strongly disagree ... what's your argument against it? i often use
> > it.
>
> I disagree too, 1) should be IMHO no, even though I don't really
> insist

> (does somebody really use Shift+arrows->MMB paste?).

yes, i do quite often. usually i work with the keyboard, but when i'm
lost between 10 windows i use the mouse instead of alt-tabbing through
them. in such a situation it's obviously better to do the pasting with
the mouse, as you already have your hand there. or something. habit. :)

> > > 5) no,
> >
> > ... and therefore this can be done consistently. and i like the idea
> > - i have a very bad short-term memory and tend to get confused by
> > what i see even if i know better. :}
> > btw, if i didn't overlook something, this could be even implemented
> > in a mostly source-compatible way. any auto-selections (and
> > therefore the current setSelection() and friends in qlineedit, etc.)
> > _never_ set PRIMARY. only user-actions (call them external events)
> > set it (of course qlineedit would have to use something else then
> > setSelection internally).  exceptions are "copy link location",
> > etc., which would require a function
> > QClipboard::setPrimarySelection() or something like that. dunno
> > about the details.
>
>  Oswald, are here saying '4)no, 5)yes' or '4)yes,5)no'? I'm not sure,
>  though it seems to me more like the sooner.

yep, the sooner.

> If yes, then you're right. It's just not that easy, 4) is easier to
> implement (QLineEdit and friends are surprisingly complicated beasts).

no doubt. i was talking from the kde programmer's pov, not the troll's
(or their collaborators's ;) pov. :)

> BTW, see the attached patch, it's a quick hack to implement 5) for
> QLineEdit (only). To get 4), remove the 'if (nonprimary_selection)'
> piece from qrichtext.cpp .

i'll give it a shot next time i feel like recompiling half of kde. :)

> > > 6) no,

hey, you're putting words into my mouth. ;)

> See Ingo's reply. I think the usability of 6) being yes far outweights
> all possible reasons against.

yep, definitely.

greetings