Clipboard selection - solution(?)

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Fri Nov 15 02:12:56 GMT 2002

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 12:39:20AM +0100, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > The differences from the X11-pure style can be:
> >
> > 1) text selected by keyboard doesn't become PRIMARY
> > 5) when a text is selected elsewhere, previously selected text stays
> > selected with a different color
>
> 1) yes

i strongly disagree ... what's your argument against it? i often use it.

> 5) no,

... and therefore this can be done consistently. and i like the idea - i
have a very bad short-term memory and tend to get confused by what i see
even if i know better. :}
btw, if i didn't overlook something, this could be even implemented in a
mostly source-compatible way. any auto-selections (and therefore the
current setSelection() and friends in qlineedit, etc.) _never_ set
PRIMARY. only user-actions (call them external events) set it (of course
qlineedit would have to use something else then setSelection internally).
exceptions are "copy link location", etc., which would require a function
QClipboard::setPrimarySelection() or something like that. dunno about
the details.

greetings