configure issues for 3.0.x and 3.1x

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at sgi.com
Thu Nov 14 17:20:49 GMT 2002

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:13:55PM +0100, Sturm Andreas wrote:
> kde 3.0.x:
>
> I am using openssl from SGI's freeware site. It installs under
> /usr/freeware/lib/openssl. I use the flag
> --with-openssl-dir=/usr/freeware/lib/openssl. But if you let configure
> do what is is supposed to do it ends up using
> /usr/freeware/lib/openssl/lib as directory which the librarys are taken
> from. This libs are o32 (the old binary format of IRIX) which is *not*
> compatible with a n32 build. Therefore you are not able to build ssl
> secured connections with konqeror afterwards. I admit that the openssl
> installation of that package is somewhat sub-optmial but i would like to
> use that package anyway since compiling/packaging kde is enough work for
> one let alone building any and all support libs. Would it be possible to
> add a configure option like --with-openssl-lib=?

This sounds like a great idea to me.  I think the freeware version
includes .so files, whereas if you download and build openssl yourself
you have to do a bit of tweaking to actually get shared libraries.

> kde 3.1x:
>
> In that configure scripts are checkings for a lib64 directory. If these
> is present the installation path for the libs defaults therefore to
> lib64 (these also gets coded into the *.la files). I think that it is
> wrong to assume this only by checking for the existance of a particulary

Yes, I think this behavior is incorrect too.

> directory since most software, even on 64 bit IRIX, is n32. By the way,
> would it be possible to compile kde with 64 bit (i know there is no
> sense for this atm; i am just curious)?

Should be possible, just add a -64 to your CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS I think.

Thanks,
Jesse