config-aware widgets (was: Re: Experiences with KDE-CVS at LinuxWorldExpo)

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Tue Nov 12 13:51:26 GMT 2002

>It would be relatively easy with Qt's property system, iff there was a
>a property "configValue" or something like that for every simple widget
>that would contain the config data. The point is that its name is
>common to all widgets, so you can loop over all children of the dialog
>and query the configValue property as QVariant using
>QObject::property( "configValue" );

Yes, if you take what Nicolas has made for KMines then the only thing
that is missing is the ability to specify the configItem-"name" in
QtDesigner. Now you still need to add calls like
configCollection()->plug("boat_length", l); to tie the config name to
the widget.

>Something for K* widgets?

I rather see some support in QWidget for custom properties.

Cheers,
Waldo