config-aware widgets (was: Re: Experiences with KDE-CVS at LinuxWorldExpo)

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Mon Nov 11 20:40:23 GMT 2002

On Monday 11 November 2002 14:54, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Anyway, I'm just throwing the idea out there. Certainly don't assume
> gconf is immutable, I'm happy to rename it, remove dependencies, etc.
> Or basically happy to throw out most of the gconf implementation, as
> long as the semantics are such that I can keep the current gconf
> client API working with different internals.
>
> It'd be pretty darn nice if linux/unix had a standard API in this
> area.

I completely agree. Me and Ian have been looking at GConf rather
extensively during the last week, while thinking about extending
KConfig. Ian started working on a next generation KConfig
implementation, I'm not sure if he's following this thread, but I'm
certain he would love to work on accommodating GConf for KDE needs
instead of coming up with a very similar KDE solution from the scratch.
The ORBit based communication system would have to be either abstracted
to make GConf work with DCOP for us, or just use a different mechanism.
I see you already gave this a little thought : "Rethink the
CORBA/gconfd implementation strategy; perhaps using a generic message
bus, or a custom low-latency protocol" - from "Future Directions" on
GConf website. If we'd be able to actually solve that problem we'd have
a good chance at looking at the future linux/unix standard.
Ian, I think you had one more problem with GConf and I can't remember
what was it. Could you elaborate on that? :)

Zack

--
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
- Popular Mechanics, 1949