Experiences with KDE-CVS at LinuxWorldExpo

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Mon Nov 11 02:02:09 GMT 2002

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 02:06:05AM +0100, Marc Mutz wrote:
> The problem with this is that you either end up with almost all simple
> widgets coming in a config-aware and a non-config-aware version or
> every app developer has to inherit from most simple widgets if she
> wants config aware widgets. The only solution I have yet come across to
> solve thsi nicely doesn't work for Qt: Make ConfigAware a template
> class that inherits from it's template parameter (mix-in).
>
> mSpin = new ConfigAware<KSpinBox>( this );
> mSpin->setGroup( "myGroup" );
> mSpin->setKey( "myKey" );

There are several ways to do it that at least get the job done, all of
them somewhat inelegant perhaps until/unless we can push a config
system below the GTK/Qt level (which is quite possible eventually if
we can make the config system a standard platform component, at least
for GTK I would expect).

> Locked down stuff should never vanish automatically, since that
> makes layouting dialogs quite a challenge and more importantly, may
> hide essential information from the user.  Eg. in a mail application
> the admin might want to lock down the default identity settings,
> which the user should nevertheless be able to inspect in the normal
> place of the apps' config dialog.

I agree, making things vanish requires some special casing on the app
developer's part.

> I'm not aware of _any_ KDE app that tests for immutable config keys and
> uses that information to change something in it's config dialog. I
> might be totally wrong, though, since lxr.kde.org doesn't like being
> queried currently.

Right, but has their been a concerted effort to encourage people to do
so? In my experience the way to get this kind of thing done is to have
someone to take it on themselves to focus on the issue and go through
filing bugs and patches.

Havoc