Experiences with KDE-CVS at LinuxWorldExpo

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Sun Nov 10 22:04:16 GMT 2002

On Sonntag, 10. November 2002 20:08, Marc Mutz wrote:
> On Sunday 10 November 2002 18:44, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > There is at least kconfedit in kdenonbeta that is very good to use
> > for *documented* options.
>
> <snip>
>
> What is the definition of "documented" here?
The point is, with most options in applications I don't have a clue what they
are related to in functionality. That means, an option should be documented
inside the config file like

[Global Options ]  # Those options define the general application behavior
like size, last opened files, toolbar positions
foobar=something   # This option is read in on application startup and sets
the setting xyz to something

> > "manage" parameter that a sysad could turn on and off in a config
> > file storing the default settings of an app could handle those
> > options "no_override"
>
> [$i]
>
> > in a global config would disallow the
> > application to write sections or disable the checkbox, radiobutton,
> > whatever at all so the user knows, ok, I can't change that because
> > I'm not allowed to.
>
> <snip>
>
> It's a PITA to write even moderately sized config dialogs with taking $i
> for key and group into account. Not mentioning the added complexity for
> the actual logic of the config dialog:
>
> myConfKeyWidget->setEnabled( config->entryIsImmutable( "myConfKey" ) );
>
> and then checking whether or not the enabled state of myConfKeyWidget is
> due to GUI or config key restrictions. Plus adding visual feedback of
> why that widget is disabled (admin did that).
>
> As it's now, the admin who uses $i to make the account settings of KMail
> immutable gets himself more work than he saves, what with all the users
> phoning the helpdesk with "Kmail doesn't remember my account settings"
> complaints.
Well *sigh* I think we'll need to put some thought into the whole thing then
what would serve us best.

Ralf

> Marc

- --