Experiences with KDE-CVS at LinuxWorldExpo

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Sun Nov 10 21:30:46 GMT 2002

On Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 08:08:12PM +0100, Marc Mutz wrote:
> It's a PITA to write even moderately sized config dialogs with taking $i
> for key and group into account. Not mentioning the added complexity for
> the actual logic of the config dialog:
>
> myConfKeyWidget->setEnabled( config->entryIsImmutable( "myConfKey" ) );
>
> and then checking whether or not the enabled state of myConfKeyWidget is
> due to GUI or config key restrictions. Plus adding visual feedback of
> why that widget is disabled (admin did that).

FWIW an idea people have had to make this *much* easier is
"config-aware" widgets, or even better, config-aware widgets that the
GUI builder understands.

i.e. you might have a spin button that is tied to a particular config
key, and automatically handles updating/disabling/etc. when appropriate.

Would still not be perfect, you'd have to do things manually
sometimes, and ideally locked-down stuff might vanish instead of just
disabling, but would make it a lot easier to handle all the simple
cases.

I think in the end though to make this fly we'll need someone actively
testing/fixing locked-down setups. I don't think the QA task is that
much harder in principle than say making sure every label that should
has a mnemonic/shortcut key on it, it's just another task that has to
be done, and it's not getting enough testing right now.

Havoc