Annoying Popups in konqueror with Office File Preview enabled

Matthias Welwarsky matze at stud.fbi.fh-darmstadt.de
Sun Nov 10 17:37:38 GMT 2002

On Sunday 10 November 2002 16:26, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Sunday 10 November 2002 14:56, Matthias Welwarsky wrote:
> > Proposed solution: Never pop up message boxes if preview generation
> > fails.
>
> I second this.
>
> > I'd even make a rule out of this: Never popup message boxes on errors
> > that result from any background activity that is not in relation do a
> > direct user interaction in the same context.
>
> That's too general. This would mean we shouldn't show an error message
> when fetching messages from a POP server fails during interval checking
> (which is a background activity). Obviously in some cases error
> messages have also be displayed when background processes fail.

Well, still, if I'm composing a mail, or just reading a mail, and the
background fetching fails, kmail should not interrupt me by displaying a
message box. Maybe it's just a transient failure and the mail fetching will
succeed next time, and _right_now_, being occupied with something different,
displaying a messagebox does not give me any useful information, it just
forces me to do yet another "gomf"-click.

No, I stick to my proposal: notification about a failure in a background
process should be unintrusive, if it's not fatal for the application itself.
Kmail should e.g. just display a warning sign next to the account-folder, and
maybe display a balloon with a description ("kmail was unable to download new
mail for this account from the server, please check you network connection")
if the mouse hovers over it.

regards,
	matze

--
Matthias Welwarsky
Fachschaft Informatik FH Darmstadt
Email: matze at stud.fbi.fh-darmstadt.de

"all software sucks equally, but some software is more equal"