KDE 3.1.0 RC2

Vadim Plessky lucy-ples at mtu-net.ru
Sun Nov 10 16:49:40 GMT 2002

On Sunday 10 November 2002 5:51 pm, Stephan Kulow wrote:
|  On Sonntag, 10. November 2002 15:29, Matthias Welwarsky wrote:
|  > On Sunday 10 November 2002 15:02, Chris Howells wrote:
|  > > Hi,
|  > >
|  > > On Sunday 10 November 2002 9:35 am, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|  > > > It's nice, but according to KDE web site
|  > > > http://www.kde.org/
|  > > > even 3.1-RC1 is not released (yet).
|  > >
|  > > During the getting-near-to-3.0 cycle we mentioned the final RC's on
|  > > the site, along with a link so that people could report problems to
|  > > kde-devel. It may be nice to do the same thing again.
|  > >
|  > > > What about binary packages for SuSE and Mandrake?  When those would
|  > > > be ready for download & testing?
|  > >
|  > > There's probably no point in making pakages (which takes ages) for
|  > > packages which have an extermely short life span....
|  >
|  > Um, wouldn't this just suggest that the lifetime of a release candidate
|  > is too short? What are those RCs good for anyway if you don't have users
|  > testing them? Who's the intended audience for RCs?
|
|  Power users and developers, betas are those that are tested by a bigger
|  audience. In RCs you usually only fix show stopper bugs - not having a
| final Qt 3.1 beeing one of them :)

I wish to help with KDE 3.1-RC1[2].  But I can't afford to compile it on my
own at a moment.
If packagers need another week to prepare RC packages - it would be good idea
to delay release by one week, and make RC2 binary RPMs available.
Otherwise, you would get buggy release.

I know that KDE 3.1.1 would follow in a month, but why you don't want to take
into account numerous (possible) RC testers?

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)