Fwd: Announcing XSVG mailing list (keywords: Xr, Xc, Postscript-like API for drawing in X)

Hetz Ben Hamo hetz at witch.dyndns.org
Sun Nov 10 16:51:20 GMT 2002

> There are high chances that this library will find its way into XFree86
> core distribution, and become present on *any* Linux Desktop. Or just
> becomes low-level library installed on pair with libpng, etc.
> Therefor, SVG can become very common and widely used.
> Xr and Xc are new XFree86 extensions, Carl Worth is working on those
> extensions together with Keith Packard (the man behind RENDER extension).
> Those extensions would be part of upcoming XFree86 4.3.0

Hmm, few questions if you don't mind:

1. Isn't it what Mac OS X does? (I think it's called "quartz" - not sure about
the term)

2. The Xr author mentioned that he hacked glib, gdk, pango, etc - but not QT
which is being used a lot on KDE, so are there any QT hacks? or this
extension is going to be using the QT's OpenGL extension? (remember, next QT
major version will only be available in around 9-12 months time). This point
is not explained well, I'm affraid..

3. I was wondering about speed of graphics card which supports the Xr/Xc
comapred to older cards which won't have this feature in their driver - any
numbers?

Thanks,
Hetz