KShred / artistic license in kdelibs

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Sat Nov 9 23:18:20 GMT 2002

>On Sat, Nov 09 2002 at 05:55:59pm +0100, Tim Jansen wrote:
>>  Hi..
>>
>>  I just discovered that the files kio/kio/kshred.* in kdelibs are under the
>>  artistic license, at least that's what the header says. According to the FSF
>>  the old artistic license is not GPL-compatible.
>
>Why would that be a problem? Is it linked to anything GPLd?
>Notice that Qt's QPL is compatible with the AL.

It should be LPGL because it is part of a library. See also
http://developer.kde.org/documentation/licensing/policy.html

>>  So shouldn't it either be re-licensed or removed?

Yes, it should. Preferably relicensed but otherwise removed. Removing
it is bad because it breaks backwards compatibility. I suggest you
ask Andreas whether he wants to change the license to either LGPL,
BSD or X11.

Cheers,
Waldo