Common icon themes

Antonio Larrosa Jiménez larrosa at kde.org
Fri Nov 8 23:44:53 GMT 2002

El Viernes, 8 de Noviembre de 2002 18:11, Waldo Bastian escribió:
> >>  Then we make the rule for application icons (those referenced by the
> >>  desktop file spec):
> >>  You *must* install an icon in the "hicolor" theme. It can be of any
> >>  sort, but preferably a "neutral" look. Additionally they may install
> >>  icons in any themed directories it want.
> >
> >I'm not sure of this. Does it mean that kde (and gnome) will have to
> >install their apps icons (let's say konqueror.png or nautilus.png) to
> >hicolor (so that the other desktop finds it) and to crystalsvg/gnome
> > (to use the default icon theme of each desktop) ?
> >
> >1.1) On one hand, if those icons are different, I don't think it makes
> >sense to mantain two icon themes in kde's cvs nor in gnome's cvs.
> >1.2)If those icons are the same... well, it's illogical to keep
> > duplicated icons in hicolor and crystalsvg.
>
> No, I think that makes sense. There would always be a somewhat
> neutral hicolor icon for an application and optionally an appropriate
> styled icon to match the desktop look.

Note that when I said "if those icons are the same", I meant "exactly the
same", that is, same icons pixel-by-pixel. So you're agreeing with me that
hicolor icons are neutral icons and styled icons are installed to
crystalsvg. So, installing two different icons in two different icon
themes.

> Ref 1.1: But we have two icon themes today already, no?

No, KDE currently only installs the crystalsvg icon theme and an empty
hicolor icon theme (only the index.desktop file).

> Ref. 1.2: if they are the same, the icon only needs to go in hicolor
> and you can leave the crystalsvg one out.

I can't understand that point, please elaborate it (if it makes sense after
my other answers).

Btw, Waldo, I think I posted this document while you were away, please have
a look at it if you didn't already:
http://devel-home.kde.org/~larrosa/iconthemes.html

Greetings,

--
Antonio Larrosa Jimenez
KDE core developer - larrosa at kde.org
http://devel-home.kde.org/~larrosa/
It's not logical to think that some things are unmovable -- MrSpock.