Common icon themes

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Fri Nov 8 10:00:56 GMT 2002

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, Antonio Larrosa Jiménez wrote:

> snipped lots of comments

Ok. What about this proposal:

------------------ Proposal -------------------

We create a package called something like icon-themes-base.tar.gz that
doesn't depend on anything. It installs (and when packaged, owns)
$prefix/share/icons/hicolor with the corresponding index.theme and
subdirs. (This is needed so there won't be any contention about who
installs these files, and e.g. gnome won't depend on kdelibs to install it
for them.)

Then we add the Hidden attribute to the spec, and set that on the hicolor
theme. We also remove the support for multiple inheritance from the spec

Then we make the rule for application icons (those referenced by the
desktop file spec):
You *must* install an icon in the "hicolor" theme. It can be of any sort,
but preferably a "neutral" look. Additionally they may install icons in
any themed directories it want.

Then we make the Inherits field optional (it actually already is), and if
it is missing in a theme, then the theme implementation is free to pick
the final inheritance structure, but it *must* include at least the
hicolor theme. So, kde would pick "crystalsvg, hicolor" and gnome would
pick "gnome, hicolor". Additionally we suggest that each implementation
has a way to change this default setting (e.g. using an environment
variable).

Its mostly your proposal, but without the (in my opinion) messy rewriting
of the name "default", and with an external package owning the hicolor
theme so that it can be shared.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's an otherworldly Catholic werewolf with a passion for fast cars. She's a
pregnant gold-digging fairy princess with an MBA from Harvard. They fight
crime!