Fwd: Re: VFolder NG (unofficial) proposal

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Fri Nov 8 06:54:27 GMT 2002

Hi,

I think that Francois made a convincing proposal.

What do you think?

Yours,
--martin

Subject: Re: VFolder NG (unofficial) proposal
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 17:52:41 -0800
From: Francois Gouget <fgouget at codeweavers.com>
To: Martin Konold <martin.konold at erfrakon.de>
Cc: Francois Gouget <fgouget at free.fr>, xdg-list at freedesktop.org

Hi Martin,

Martin Konold wrote:
[...]

> No, it mainly means that people got tired of reading 17k emails.

Fair enough, here is the gist of it:

  * my proposal is based on Gnome 1.x and KDE 2/3: a directory hierarchy
with .directory and *.desktop files. And unless you use the extensions,
things will be exactly as they have always been. This means 100%
backward compatibility.

  * one extension is that you can put some *.desktop files in
/usr/share/applications. Also these files should have a Category line
that contains a list of keywords.

  * another extension is that dome .directory files in the regular tree
hierarchy can contain a Query line that specifies a way to select some
of the *.desktop files that are in /usr/share/applications. So if
xxx/MultiMedia/.directory contains 'Query=Audio | Video', then all the
*.desktop files that are in /usr/share/applications and have either the
'Audio' or 'Video' keyword in their Category line will magically appear
in the 'MultiMedia' menu folder.

  * the third extension is that you can put a directory in
/usr/share/applications and specify a category in its directory file. So
for instance you can create
'/usr/share/applications/CrossOver/.directory' and specify
'Category=Emulator'. This folder and all its contents (including
subfolders) will then be magically moved to whatever folder selects
items containing the 'Emulator' folder. For instance CrossOver coulde
end up as 'Miscellaneous Emulators/CrossOver'.

  * you can override / add to the system-wide menu hierarchy using the
same mechanisms that are used in Gnome 1.x and KDE 2/3. Just create a
hierarchy in some '.foo' directory to be specified by the standard and
proceed as usual.

  * finally, you can specify both a Category and a Query line for
.directory files, you can specify Category lines on *.desktop files that
are in the legacy tree, etc. But all these are sort of for completeness
and may be dropped if necessary to simplify the specs and implementation.

> This is the result of "If you cannot convince at least produce a lot of
> documents".

Well, I hope you will find this shorter document convincing.
It's not as precise as the original one but should still convey the gist
of it.

--
Francois Gouget
fgouget at codeweavers.com