Common icon themes

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Thu Nov 7 16:45:11 GMT 2002

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 08:17:50AM -0500, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> If we don't solve this now we're gonna end up with two incompatible icon
> theme formats that look almost identical and install in the same
> directories.

Just to add .02, everyone please keep in mind that given current KDE
3.1 and GNOME 2.2 code, things are just broken; KDE apps won't have
icons under GNOME, and I'm not sure what happens to GNOME apps under
KDE, and who knows what third-party apps do.

Distributions can't ship with this situation, they will have to patch
it somehow. As always, an upstream fix is preferred. I want to be sure
people are aware that this is something we will be forced to patch
somewhere somehow if not fixed upstream.

In light of that, I hope we can revise KDE 3.1, GNOME 2.2, and/or the
icon theme spec so things work out of the box and it's clear where
apps are supposed to install icons.

We very much appreciate any help on this.

Havoc