Showstopper: kmail icons

Vadim Plessky lucy-ples at mtu-net.ru
Thu Nov 7 10:03:50 GMT 2002

On Wednesday 06 November 2002 8:49 pm, Michael Häckel wrote:
|  On Tuesday 05 November 2002 20:26, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|  > What about these variants for mail icons:
|  >
|  > http://freetype.newmail.ru/svg/160x160/mail_generic.png
|  > http://freetype.newmail.ru/svg/160x160/mail_new.png
|  >
|  > I will do Reply, Cjeck Mail, Reply All icons tomorrow.
|  >
|  > Sources are in SVG (but I doubt current KSVG can handle it, unless
|  > someone managed to fix during last 2 days)
|  > You need recent Sodipodi (0.27) to export PNG from those SVGs.
|
|  Also looks nice for me if the other icons are of the same style.

ok, I managed to update all KMail,Knode-related icons, and finally made new
release.
It's available in binary (pixmap) format, ready too install.

Download:
http://freetype.newmail.ru/svg/BlueSphere-0.2.tar.bz2

Screenshots:
http://freetype.newmail.ru/svg/BlueSphere-kmail.png
http://freetype.newmail.ru/svg/BlueSphere-knode.png
http://freetype.newmail.ru/svg/BlueSphere-konqueror.png
http://freetype.newmail.ru/svg/BlueSphere-noatun.png

As about Noatun - I can't find any reference to noatunstop.png.
What  icon Noatun actually uses?
It seesm player-stop.png, and this makes stop icon looking different from
others.

Note that I haven't touched most of 'apps' icons yet, I was focusing on
'actions' icons.

|  Actually I still can live with the current icons, if the 16x16 icons look
| the same way as the 22x22 and the 32x32 icons do. This is the worst
| problem.
|
|  If someone has them in svg it shouldn't be too hard to also create 16x16
|  icons, or shall I simply take gimp and scale down the 22x22 icons to
| 16x16? I just tested that and it looks acceptable well for me.

Actually, I export icons at 160x160 from Sodipodi, and scale down to 22x22,
32x32, 48x48.  I use Imagemagick for this task, as command-line interface
available, and results, from my experience, are better than with GIMP.

Problem is that such method doesn't produce good results for 16x16, and even
22x22 are not perfect.
I think icons need to be redesigned to fit 16x16 size (make lines more thick,
etc.)
Actually, my design allows it. I will experiment with this today.

In the mean time, pls send me your comments.

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)