Experiences with KDE-CVS at LinuxWorldExpo

Adam Treat manyoso at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 4 15:06:26 GMT 2002

On Monday 04 November 2002 03:58 am, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> ---------------
>
> I think there are two distinct models to solve tasks like that, and I think
> KDE needs solutions for both:
>
> # 1 #
> -----
> Thin or very thin clients. No program runs natively on the client (apart
> from just the X server) -- all applications run on one or more centralized
> servers, which also store the user "profiles",  probably in a database or
> in an LDAP directory.
>
> # 2 #
> -----
> "Fat" clients. A complete set of all programs are installed on the clients.
> "Profiles" and home directories are on central file servers. The profile is
> retrieved if the user logs in and decides about the subset of programs the
> user is allowed to start and use.

Ok, so you've narrowed it down to thin clients and workstations.  Does this
GUI app work only with Linux or must it work with the *BSD's?  Is it
responsible for the actual deployment and configuration of the non-KDE OS ie,
does it need to configure X, kernel, printing system, network shares, ssh,
mail server, etc, etc.  If so, then we are talking about a _huge_ parameter
space.  IMHO, the only way an app such as this could be successful is to
narrow the scope considerably OR make choices for the system admin thereby
limiting the situations where the tool could be used.  I'm really trying to
understand what you are looking for ... ?

I like the idea, but I fail to see how it could be executed successfully.