Keramik Scrollbar

Fredrik Höglund fredrik at kde.org
Sun Nov 3 17:34:10 GMT 2002

On Sunday 03 November 2002 15:28, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Sunday 03 November 2002 14:21, Michael Brade wrote:
> > The problem I have with the scrollbar is that it has always the color
> > of the selection background. To have a clean, consistent desktop look
> > I'd like to have the button background for the scrollbars. Tabs,
> > buttons and scrollbars should look the same. Comments?

The other parts of the scrollbar are already drawn with the button color
so the only other color that's available to make the slider stand out is
the selection color.

> While playing around with the colors in the Control Center I noticed
> that the color preview doesn't work correctly in all cases:
>
> Instead of the Button Background color the Window Background color is
> used as background color for the Push Button.

I've committed a change that fixes this problem for all styles
except Liquid.

> Instead of the Selection Background color the Window Background color is
> used as color for scroll bar slider.

This happens because the preview widget can only pass the style a
color group to draw the widget with, but it has no way of knowing
which color in that group the style will actually use to draw the
widget with.

So to ensure that the labels for the different widgets always match
the colors, the preview sets all the members of that color group to
the same color, thereby forcing the style to draw the widgets with
the color the preview wants it to use.

Unfortunately in many cases those aren't the colors the style would
actually use to draw those widgets with in real world situations.

To make matters worse, the preview widget isn't very accurate.
None of the widgets that are drawn with the background color in
the preview are really supposed to be drawn with that color.

The color that should be used for all 3D elements, such as toolbars,
menubars, popup menus, scrollbars, comboboxes etc. is in fact the
button color.

As far as I know Liquid is the only style that uses the background
color for menubars, toolbars etc.

> I agree with Michael that using the selection background color for the
> scroll bar slider is very strange.

I think that all these issues are really just symptoms of a problem
with Qt - that the palette is too limiting. If there were additional
entries for scrollbars etc. all styles would be able to draw the
same widgets with the same colors, and it would be possible for
users to adjust those colors to match their preferences.

Regards,
Fredrik