Showstopper bug in "kate"

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Sun Nov 3 02:29:34 GMT 2002

Hi,

I have come across a showstopper bug in kate. It can eat all my
remaining HDD space. A normal user wouldn't know how to get out.

Sorry, I am not able to currently contact bugzilla to check if
it is already in there. Please, someone check and feed it in.

To reproduce:

* Open a text file in "kate".
* Try to print it.
* In the "kprinter" dialog, check "preview" option as "on".
* Choose any printing system (I checked with CUPS and "external program").
* On "Text Settings" tab, check the "Print Syntax Guide" option as "on"
   plus "Print Line Numbers" option as "on"

You'll notice the printfile not being previewed and kate hanging.
The dialog window appears "Printing document: <name of text file>.
Generating print data: page x" with a "Close" button which doesn't
work...

There is an eternal loop which writes line after line of

"Kate (Document): -- Skipping garbage, line: 13 start: 3 end: 0 !?"

until the HDD is full, into my "$HOME/.xsession-errors" (or, on my
other system, in my $HOME/.X.err") file. The only way out is to
kill the "kdeinit: kate" process.

The one system is ~10 days old CVS, the other is from last night
(including new qt-copy) [and currently I can't get the freshly
updated qt-copy to compile.... :-(  ]

Cheers,
Kurt

Oh, BTW, I think the new extensions for the printing options in
KDE's text editors are beautiful. I think all developers who want
to print code occasionally will like it. These boxes and headers
and footers and colors and the quickhelp for the supported tags
and the layout options and the syntax highlighting are looking
beoutifull. At LWE everybody who saw it liked it very much.
.
And, the "%U" makro doesn't work for me. It should print the full
URL of the document, but only prints "%U" verbally...