Experiences with KDE-CVS at LinuxWorldExpo

Michael Brade brade at kde.org
Sat Nov 2 23:16:27 GMT 2002

Hi,

> [...]
>
> I think this experience clearly shows there is a heavy need to change
> these icons back to something more colorful, more distinguished. Nice
> art doesn't automatically mean good usability at all. The current
> state is a heavy retraction in terms of usability. kicker icons and
> the minimized window icons are the most often looked for icons of the
> desktop. If these are looking too similar, it only confuses people.
Agreed. Thanks, Kurt, for the summary--I hoped that you'll write it earlier
than me, I'm still tracking a bug in Konqy ;-)

Now I'd like to point out the most important icons that definitely need to be
changed for KDE 3.1: the konsole icon and the kcontrol icon, they are *much*
too similar. Even after weeks of using Crystal I'm not able to distinguish
those :-(

The shell needs to be removed from the former one at 16x16, it is too yellow
and prevents fast recognition. The latter one needs to be less black, it
should be "green" at first sight for all sizes.

Ciao,
--
Michael Brade;                 KDE Developer, Student of Computer Science
  |-mail: echo brade !#|tr -d "c oh"|s\e\d 's/e/\@/2;s/$/.org/;s/bra/k/2'

KDE 3: The Next Generation in Desktop Experience