kdenetwork/kit/icons

Antonio Larrosa Jiménez larrosa at kde.org
Fri Nov 1 12:32:19 GMT 2002

El Viernes, 1 de Noviembre de 2002 12:59, Neil Stevens escribió:
> > No, it's already handled in the icon loader. Wether the user tries to
> > use hicolor, it's changed with the default icon theme.
>
> So any users who have highcolor with KDE 3.0 will have kdeclassic when
> they load KDE 3.1?  This wasn't true when I tried just a few days ago.

read again "it's changed with the default icon theme", I think it's clear.
Or do I have to repeat again which one is the default icon theme?

> I'm saying that having these two copies is bad, and instead, I should
> just install one copy of the same icons to highcolor, where it will be
> accessable to all icon styles.

If they're installed to crystal they'll be accesable to all icon styles.

> > Any speedup is a good speedup.
>
> Unless you tested it, how do you even know there is a speedup?

LOL

> But unless you've tested it, this is just speculation.

ROTFL

> No, these people are trying to force upon me an unproven optimization of
> a few stat calls on app startup, over what I'm trying to do which has
> the same effect with less file duplication.

If you want no file duplication, then just remove the icons from kdeclassic
and keep the cr* icons in kdenetwork, and there you are: no duplicated
files, stat calls saved (fast), and icons available for every icon theme
no matter what icon theme the user has choosen. If that's no good for you,
then I can't think what will keep you happy.

> > Since 15 Oct 2000 (which was the first cvs commit I could find) only
> > tackat has commited anything to those files and I couldn't find a
> > _single_ time where you (or anyone else) commited anything related to
> > them (except this nonsense, reverting the changes of others). In fact,
> > in May 2001, tackat renamed them to be hi* (as they were installed to
> > the locolor icon theme before and that theme was no longer installed
> > by default). Given that, I'd say that those icons are mantained by
> > tackat more than you (even if they're your app icons) so please, let
> > the mantainer decide and mantain it.
>
> A script can rename files.  Scripts are not maintenance.  Torsten has
> not done one thing for Kit art-wise.

From the log of tackat's commit on Sun Nov 26 10:03:52 2000 UTC:
"converted locolors from RGBA to colormap"
That's not a simple script.

> > There's no duplication and there's no inconvenence (expect having to
> > argue until death what everyone else thinks it's ok).
>
> False.  Go check the commits by Stephan Binner.  He copied every single
> highcolor icon into kdeartwork.  Do you deny that?

Moving implies copying & removing original, so yes, he copied them ;-)

> > > 3.  Who is maintaining kdeclassic?
> >
> > Neil, let's put it clear, you don't want kdeclassic (the old hicolor
> > theme) to disappear. And it hasn't disappeared, it only has changed
> > its state from "actively mantained" to simply "mantained". I don't
> > think tackat alone can paint and keep up to date two icon themes, so
> > if you're not helping painting icons, there's nothing you (or I) can
> > do about it, except making tackat's life easier and not annoy him too
> > much so that he has more free time to paint icons.
>
> So nobody's responsible for the icons of my app but me.  Exactly.  This

If the developer of an application were the only responsible of the app
icons then tackat wouldn't have moved so many icons (nor painted them) and
I wouldn't have fixed so many broken apps which are not mine.

Greetings,

--
Antonio Larrosa Jimenez
KDE core developer - larrosa at kde.org
http://devel-home.kde.org/~larrosa/
If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith. -- Albert Einstein