GNOME/KDE interoperability hothouse

Dom Lachowicz cinamod at hotmail.com
Fri May 31 20:58:06 BST 2002

>> > This whole thread is truely bizzare. As an Australian I find this
> > irrational bias against the US to be without foundation. As if the FBI
> > Marshells are going to swoop in and bust up a Free Software discussion!
>
>Of course not, they'll bust down hotel doors at the end of it. Ask Dmitry..

Heh. Planned hothouse meeting of hotheads. Gotta love it.

Every nation has its own issues and stupid laws, and we may or may not agree
with many of its decisions, policies, and laws. No country, even European
ones, is above this.

A very well respected hacker proposed that we all meet before a Linux
conference in San Francisco. True, it might be too far for many Europeans
(and Americans, for that matter). But let's not gripe about it - the world's
big and you can't please everyone. Heck, there's even probably going to be
funding for some attendees. Whatever the location, realize that it's going
to be too far away for at least one of you. Please also remember how far the
trip was for GUADEC1-3 for the Easel folks, especially Copenhagen. If you
really want to go, some sacrifice on your part may be necessary. This is not
the end of the world.

Maybe you personally won't be attending for various reasons. You will be
missed. In the meantime, please reduce the noise level on these lists.
Instead of being counterproductive, dissenters could organize their own
hothouse meetings or offer viable alternate locations suggestions for future
meetings. No, statements like "anywhere but in the US" isn't going to go
over particularly well with the North American crowd, but that doesn't
preclude you from scheduling something in Europe.

Flaming each other's governments, citizenry, and open-source cultures is
counterproductive and childish. We're all educated, international adults
here. Please start behaving as such.

Dom