Running kde2 and kde3 apps in /usr?

Kurt Granroth granroth at kde.org
Fri May 31 21:35:23 BST 2002

On Friday 31 May 2002 11:22 am, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Fre, 31 Mai 2002, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> > FWIW, I tried to very very quick tests with kdcop and kmail.. the
> > former worked just fine, the latter crashed.  I thought I'd ask here
> > before going into too much investigation on the why's.
> >
> > Anybody *know* the answer?
>
> We tried to keep the klauncher and kded stuff compatible. so the KDE3
> version of both should be able to handle KDE2 apps.

That's what I thought.  It doesn't seem to be the case in all cases, though.
As long as you are doing simple DCOP communication stuff, everything will
be fine.  As soon as you try anything with mimetypes, servicetypes, or the
like, there are problems.

I tried this:

 #include <kapplication.h>
 #include <kmimetype.h>

 int main(int argc, char **argv){
   KApplication app(argc, argv, "kdetest");
   KMimeType::mimeType("image/jpeg");
   return app.exec();
 }

This compiles and runs on both kde2 and kde3.  However, when you compile it
as a kde2 app and run it as a kde3 app, you get this error:

 kdeinit: Shutting down running client.
 kio (KLauncher): ERROR: KLauncher: KDEInit communication error! Commiting
suicide!
 Mutex destroy failure: Device or resource busy
 ---------------------------------
 It looks like dcopserver is already running. If you are sure
 that it is not already running, remove /home/kurt/.DCOPserver_xandros__0
 and start dcopserver again.
 ---------------------------------

 KDE Daemon (kded) already running.

And the "Sorry" dialog pops up with  "Could not find mime type
application/octet-stream".

I need to recompile kde2 libs with debug enabled for more info, but it looks
like the ksycoca system (one kde2) doesn't like the format of our database
and bails out.
--
Kurt Granroth - "KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop"
KDE Developer/Evangelist | granroth at kde.org
http://www.granroth.org  | kurt at granroth.org