[RFC] geographical, etc. info about kde developers and more

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Fri May 31 17:08:59 BST 2002

On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 05:44:25PM +0200, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > - a cvs-account table. mostly the current "accounts", but without the
> >   email-address.
>
> No, do not remove the emails there, please!

but one of the basic ideas of the concept is to remove data duplication.

> If you are not subscribed to kde-cvs mailing list, (or from a normal
> cvs log), you have only the account names, not the email addresses. It
> is easy to grep the account file, but if you have to search part of
> the info in another file, it becomes more difficult.

put a simple lookup script in kdesdk. no problem.

> >- who except me wants this? would anybody enter his data into the
> >system?
>
> Not me! The problem is what is done with all this (unnecessary) data.
> We got already spam through emails, I do not want additional spam
> through snail mail, even less for wishing me my birthday or such
> stuff...

that's why i suggested making the precision of the data up to the
individual. i for one would never be more precise than my zip code.

> Non-valid data is even worse than no data.

which is a very strong argument to avoid data duplication.

greetings