GNOME/KDE interoperability hothouse

Raffaele Sandrini sandrini at kde.org
Fri May 31 16:42:45 BST 2002

On Friday 31 May 2002 16:04, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Actually, the current situation within the USA wrt technology related
> > law-making is all the more reason to go there. Americans need our help to
> > fight these kind of laws, not our ignorance.
>
> US citizens can fight such laws effectively, for a non US citizen it is
> very hard. They risk months unable to leave the USA, they risk
> deliberate use of race hate against arabs and political biases about
> eastern europe being used for jury trials.  The fact they are
> extra-territorial is far worse. The US recently sentenced a Canadian to
> jail for trading with Cuba, which is -required- under most national law.

Ugh... Is it really that hard in the US?
Alan are from the US?

> With the current continuing rise in crazy US software patents, the
> billions of dollars being spent by media companies to own the US
> government and the like its getting dangerously close to an inevitable
> conclusion. I have lots of cool software on my website, a growing part
> of which through no choice of mine is not available to US citizens, only
> in the free world.
>
> Why don't we hold the meeting in Cuba ? They don't seem to have an
> paticularly problematic restrictions about who attends a conference there,
> or problematic extra-territiorial judicial claims

Don't blame me but i know nothing about that. Here in Switzerland we are
almost free in any sence (We also are alowed to play shooter games  - hy to
the gents from Germany :-) ) So i'm blue-eyed. I really can't imagine that a
such event can't be done in the US. Not that i would be for it. There are
really not many resons for me now going there... It does not matter to me
because i can't come these days. If i have finished my studies then i can
affort go join such an event...

All i can say. Cuba is cool. I was there some years ago :-)

BTW: Is there a website wich explains all the US-law problems in that sector?
--
Raffaele Sandrini <sandrini at kde.org>