KDE3 Solaris Linux

Guenter Feldmann fld at Informatik.Uni-Bremen.DE
Thu May 30 18:25:27 BST 2002

Hi Thomas

|>   > Installation:
|>   > 	When KDE seaks for the available applications it does not store their
|>   > 	logical paths (which are the same on all our systems) but their
physical
|>   > 	paths. eg: the path to Qt=20
|>   > 		/usr/local/X11/qt
|>   > 	gets stored as
|>   > 		/usr/local/X11/qt_3.0.4			Solaris (small)
|>   > 		/export/local/X11R6/qt_3.0.4		Solaris (big)
|>   > 		/usr/X11R6/qt_3.0.4			Linux (big)
|>   > 		/usr/local/X11/qt_3.0.4			Linux (small)
|>   > 		...
|>   >
|>   > 	To enable the users to switch between different system I had to emulate
|>   > 	all posible physical pathes of the Linux systems by symbolc links on
|>   > 	the Solaris systems an vice versa.
|>
|>   I am not quite sure where these paths are stored, and why this poses a
|>   problem..
|>   While it is true that the binairy KDE contains some paths, I am wondering
|>   why that is a problem. Surely the linux binairy can't be run on Solaris
|>   anyhow ..

The problem is that our users (students) cannot use all times the same
computer.
They have to seak for a free one. Some times they find a free Linux computer
and
other times they have to use a Solaris workstation. This should not be a
problen
as all the systems a equipped with KDE and on all systems
	/usr/local/X11/qt and /usr/local/X11/kde
are the pathes to the current qt/KDE installation. Unfortunately the following
happens:

When a user the fist time starts KDE on Solaris system, KDE finds its programs
in /usr/local/X11/kde/bin but stores them as
/export/local/X11R6/kde_3.0.1/bin/...
into ~/.kde/share/apps/...

When the same user next time starts KDE on a Linux system, KDE will not find
the
applications at the positions stored in ~/.kde/share/spps/...
This results in a taskbar only containig gear-wheals instead of the usual
icons.

If KDE had stored the logical pathes everything would look fine.

-- Guenter

--
Guenter Feldmann		EMail:  G.Feldmann at informatik.Uni-Bremen.de
FB 3, Informatik