kde 3.1 -- make Keramik default?

leimbacd at bellsouth.net leimbacd at bellsouth.net
Thu May 30 22:20:03 BST 2002

Its not likely anyone can judge beauty as an absolute.  I don't
know anyone who would even attempt to make the Nazi-like objective
judgement of what is considered beautiful over that which is not.

To employ an overquoted saying "Beauty is in the eye of the
beholder."

Still I know quite a few people are just plain sick of the way KDE
looks.  Some say it is "icky" without saying exactly why.  Perhaps
shaking up the default look a bit will inspire these people to get
beyond the "ickiness" they experience.  I usually direct these
people to a themes site to customize the look of KDE but they
usually don't want any part of it.

Its hard to say if a new look for KDE would draw in any new users.
I would also worry about alienating existing ones who don't want to
do the work to set all the values back to the "old way" KDE looks.

Offering easilly switchable choices is probably the best way to go
and I think the KDE styles does that very effectively.  If people
cannot get beyond "ickiness" to try these styles then we never
would have won them over to begin with IMO.

As a software developer I love KDE on many levels.  Its a great
environemnt to develop on as well as in.  Looks are secondary to
me  [within reason].

That said, I use Keramic at work and find it no objectively better
than say liquid or another style.  They all have the same
functioning parts.  The rest is bells and whistles.

Dave