kde 3.1 -- make Keramik default?

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Thu May 30 21:53:58 BST 2002

On Friday 31 May 2002 00:38, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> I remember that we tested Keramik on some Hardware that I would consider
> quite old and it was still quite snappy. If people decide to have a really
> fast version of KDE by choosing a very low eyecandy level then you can be
> quite sure that they won't care too much about the look (or even not at
> all).

Not to mention that Highcolor is a bad choice as well there because of the
mouse over effects and the associated extra drawings and mouse pointer
monitoring. On a slow remote X11 link you'd better NOT have a style with
highlighting. Maybe it's wise to make it possible to turn it off over remote
links, so you can have one style, but optimized performance depending on
whether you're local or remote.

Anyway, for slow systems or links, use Platinum, or the Motif builtins, or
whatever that's simple, but not Highcolor, Liquid, Keramik or dotNet (for
different reasons).

> I'd Suggest "KDE Classic" ;-)

Seconded.

Martijn