KDE3 Solaris Linux

Klas Kalass klas.kalass at gmx.de
Thu May 30 19:30:29 BST 2002

Am Donnerstag, 30. Mai 2002 19:53 schrieb Stephan Kulow:
> On Mittwoch, 29. Mai 2002 17:40, Guenter Feldmann wrote:
> > Hi KDE developers
> >
> > Fist of all I'm happy that I can report that I've sucessfully installed
> > KDE3.0.1 on our workstation pool consisting of Solaris SPARC, Solaris x86
> > and Linux x86 systems (~300 machines).
> >
> > The machines are confiured as follows:
> > SPARC:
> > 	Solaris8, X11R6.5 (/usr/local/X11), gcc3.1 (/usr/local/X11/kde)
> > x86:
> > 	Solaris8, XFree4.2 (/usr/local/X11), gcc3.1 (/usr/local/X11/kde)
> > x86:
> > 	ReadHat Linux 7.x, gcc3.1, KDE3.0.1 (/usr/local/X11/kde)
> >
> > The /usr/local file system resides on a central server. Machines with
> > small disks mount it via nfs, systems with big disks have a local copy
> > (updated by rdist). All home directories reside on dedicated servers and
> > get automatically mounted on demand. In this environment users can freely
> > switch between Linux an Solaris workstations and always use the same
> > desktop (KDE). Since installation of KDE2 most users prefer KDE. Only few
> > users continue with CDE.
> >
> > Now the problems I encountered.
> >
> > Compilation:
> > 	kdenetwork/kppp could not be compiled on Solaris x86. It isn't needed in
> > 	our envirionment anyway. It would be nice to have a configure flag for
> > 	disabling it.
> >

> > Installation:
> > 	When KDE seaks for the available applications it does not store their
> > 	logical paths (which are the same on all our systems) but their physical
> > 	paths. eg: the path to Qt
> > 		/usr/local/X11/qt
> > 	gets stored as
> > 		/usr/local/X11/qt_3.0.4			Solaris (small)
> > 		/export/local/X11R6/qt_3.0.4		Solaris (big)
> > 		/usr/X11R6/qt_3.0.4			Linux (big)
> > 		/usr/local/X11/qt_3.0.4			Linux (small)
> >
> > 	To enable the users to switch between different system I had to emulate
> > 	all posible physical pathes of the Linux systems by symbolc links on
> > 	the Solaris systems an vice versa.
>
> I don't think KDE stores the path to Qt. Perhaps the linker does with the
> RPATHs, but even that I doubt as we pass the rpaths and these are basicly
> that found by configure. So can you be a bit more specific?

Maybe I misunderstood the mail from Guenter but I thought he meant the entries
in the .desktop files that are created by kappfinder. He seems to prefer not
to resolve symbolic links.

regarding the linker: at least on my system the complete paths are stored in
the *.la files for kde libraries which is really annoying as one cannot
compile and install to a temp dir and then move everything on sucess. But
maybe you are exactly the right person to ask for a solution to this :) So if
there is a trick I would appreciate it if someone could tell me!

Klas