KDE3 Solaris Linux

Guenter Feldmann fld at Informatik.Uni-Bremen.DE
Wed May 29 16:40:44 BST 2002

Hi KDE developers

Fist of all I'm happy that I can report that I've sucessfully installed
KDE3.0.1 on our workstation pool consisting of Solaris SPARC, Solaris x86 and
Linux x86 systems (~300 machines).

The machines are confiured as follows:
SPARC:
	Solaris8, X11R6.5 (/usr/local/X11), gcc3.1 (/usr/local/X11/kde)
x86:
	Solaris8, XFree4.2 (/usr/local/X11), gcc3.1 (/usr/local/X11/kde)
x86:
	ReadHat Linux 7.x, gcc3.1, KDE3.0.1 (/usr/local/X11/kde)

The /usr/local file system resides on a central server. Machines with small
disks mount it via nfs, systems with big disks have a local copy (updated
by rdist). All home directories reside on dedicated servers and get
automatically mounted on demand. In this environment users can freely
switch between Linux an Solaris workstations and always use the same
desktop (KDE). Since installation of KDE2 most users prefer KDE. Only
few users continue with CDE.

Now the problems I encountered.

Compilation:
	kdenetwork/kppp could not be compiled on Solaris x86. It isn't needed in
	our envirionment anyway. It would be nice to have a configure flag for
	disabling it.

Installation:
	When KDE seaks for the available applications it does not store their
	logical paths (which are the same on all our systems) but their physical
	paths. eg: the path to Qt
		/usr/local/X11/qt
	gets stored as
		/usr/local/X11/qt_3.0.4			Solaris (small)
		/export/local/X11R6/qt_3.0.4		Solaris (big)
		/usr/X11R6/qt_3.0.4			Linux (big)
		/usr/local/X11/qt_3.0.4			Linux (small)

	To enable the users to switch between different system I had to emulate
	all posible physical pathes of the Linux systems by symbolc links on
	the Solaris systems an vice versa.

-- Guenter

Guenter Feldmann		EMail:  G.Feldmann at informatik.Uni-Bremen.de
FB 3, Informatik
Univ. Bremen