kicker: no drag-resizing anymore

Scott Wheeler scott at slackorama.net
Mon May 27 14:07:35 BST 2002

Hmm.  I think I started this discussion a while back with a patch pre 3.0.

I think this whole thing is broken right now and needs some clear goals.

There are two "cases" here.  The first is a Windows like, "notched" dragging
resize and a "free" resize.  There are valid reasons for both but the
implementation right now is a half-way house between the two that doesn't do
either well.

Either way, there needs to be a bigger "grab" area.  It's really hard to even
get the resize handle to show up.  I think presently it's easier to open up
the config dialog and set it manually just because it's so hard to grab the
thing in the first place.

So, if we go the Windows-ish "notched" route, this should stay on all of the
time.  Dirk, you're right in that people rarely screw this up.  The big
reason that they don't is that you have to drag the resize handle about 10
pixels before anything happens.

If we stay with the "free resize" which I like more, this needs not only to be
able to be turned off, but to be off by default.  I hate accidentally
resizing the panel and a lot of other people do too.

As was mentioned, picking a custom size and being able to resize the panel
should not be logically connected.  I like to turn off the resize handle and
use a custom size of 44 pixels.  Aaron said that there is a bool KConfig
option for this, but I don't see it at the moment.  I used ResizeHandle in my
original patch, which I still used until the recent redesign (which broke my
patch).

Also there is a bug in the current implementation (just updated).  If you
select "Size->Custom..." by right clicking, this setting isn't reflected in
the general configuration menu (It doesn't show that you have selected custom
or set the custom size to what you selected.).  I don't think that there
should even be two places that this is set.  If you select custom, it should
open the KConfig module and set "Custom" as the default and let you set the
size there.

I've been meaning to bring this up for a while, but have been too lazy/busy.
Please respond with thoughts on what this *should* do and then we can work on
getting it to do that.

Cheers!

-Scott