Thumbnails in tooltips

David Faure david at mandrakesoft.com
Fri May 24 16:00:50 BST 2002

On Friday 24 May 2002 16:39, Simon MacMullen wrote:
> From: David Faure
> > Not sure I understand. KonqIconViewWidget::startImagePreview reads
> > a config file to know if previews have been globally enabled or disabled
> > (for this protocol). What about doing the same when popping up a tooltip?
> > (KConfig caches the value anyway, no need for caching it in
> > konqiconviewwidget).
>
> Yes, but that's the per-protocol thing, not the per-mimetype thing, which
> gets passed in to startImagePreview.

Ah. Hmm, this means the per-mimetype thing can potentially be
per-directory as well, since konqpropsview can work that way. Wow ;)

Hmm, this is tricky. The only way I can see would be to store that QStringList
in KonqIconViewWidget (replacing kdesktop's m_preview list, and for Konq
it would have to update it whenever doing m_propsView->enterDir(), since that's
when the propsview gets possibly updated - i.e. that's in openURL.

Then for kde-4 you can remove the QStringList arg from startImagePreview ;)
(just ignore it for now).

> Of course, (eg) HTML previews could show in tooltips even when they're
> turned off in the icon view - this may be OK as the user has to take
> slightly more action to see the tooltip preview.

I don't think this is a good solution. Previews can take quite a long time
to get generated - e.g. for old koffice documents [before they saved the
preview in the zip]. On slow machines it must be possible to turn previews off.

Hmm, I noted today that previews can pop up message boxes (e.g.
when the koffice loading fails), that's really not good :(

David FAURE, david at mandrakesoft.com, faure at kde.org
http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david/