Expanded registrations for KOffice mime types

Marc Mutz mutz at kde.org
Thu May 23 20:36:39 BST 2002

[please cc: either me and/or core-devel on replies, so I can repond
faster]

Hi!

Following is the expanded list of mime types for these KOffice apps:
kword, kspread, kpresenter, kformula, kchart, kivio, kontour, karbon

They differ from one another only in the names of the application and
the list of filename extensions, so if you read one of them thoroughly,
you only need to check the other's filename extensions (taken from the
x-kapp.desktop files).

I intent to forward them to the ietf-types mailing list in a day or two
for the RFC-suggested two week public review period.

This public review will be not be very extensive, though, so don't count
on others doing it - do it yourself! ;-)

I renew my offer to be KDE's interface to IANA, so if you accept, please
send any requests for KDE app mime types through me.

Thanks for the help in putting this together. Next will be KPartGUI.

Enjoy.

Marc

***KWord***

To: ietf-types at iana.org
Subject: Registration of MIME media type application/vnd.kde.kword

MIME media type name: application

MIME subtype name: vnd.kde.kword

Required parameters: none

Optional parameters: none

Encoding considerations: Binary or base64 required

Security considerations:

        As of this writing, KWord documents do not contain any active
        content. As such, it is believed that usage of this mimetype
        does not introduce security concerns other than those already
        inherent in ZIP archives, XML files and supported image files.

        It is expected that later versions of KWord feature scripting
        and macro recording facilities. It is, however, not intended
        to include active content into the KWord document itself.

        KWord documents include document metadata such as the name of
        the author, etc. However, none of this data is written
        automatically. The KWord user has full control over what
        metadata is to be included and must actively request the
        inclusion. As such, the use of this mimetype does not lead to
        hidden leaking of possibly sensitive data.

Interoperability considerations:

        Earlier versions of KOffice (<= 1.1) used gzip-compressed UNIX
        tar files as archive format. It is expected that this obsolete
        format will die out soon after the first release of KOffice
        1.2. Thus, this registration does not apply to the obsolete
        format. Implementations are expected to use the old
        application/x-kword mime type for the obsolete format.

Published specification:

        A KWord document consists of a series of XML streams and
        externally generated content which are bundled together as a
        ZIP archive.

        Any content placed in KWord can either be completely embedded
        in the KWord document or can be linked to using URIs.

        The DTDs used in KOffice can be obtained from
        http://www.koffice.org/DTD/.

        A description of the storage format is contained in the source
        code distribution (lib/store/SPEC). The current version can be
        obtained online via KDE's WebCVS interface:
        http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/koffice/lib/store/SPEC

Applications which use this media type:

        All applications in the KDE KOffice Office Suite, esp. KWord.

Additional information:

        Magic numbers: This is an entry that can be used with the
                       UNIX file(1) command's magic(4) file:
                 0    string   PK\003\004
                 >30  string   mimetype
                 >>38 string   application/vnd.kde.kword
        File extensions: KWT, KWD
        Macintosh File Type Codes: n/a

Person & email address to contact for further information:

        David Faure <faure at kde.org>

Intended usage: COMMON

Author/Change contoller: Marc Mutz <mutz at kde.org>

***KSpread***

To: ietf-types at iana.org
Subject: Registration of MIME media type application/vnd.kde.kspread

MIME media type name: application

MIME subtype name: vnd.kde.kspread

Required parameters: none

Optional parameters: none

Encoding considerations: Binary or base64 required

Security considerations:

        As of this writing, KSpread documents do not contain any active
        content. As such, it is believed that usage of this mimetype
        does not introduce security concerns other than those already
        inherent in ZIP archives, XML files and supported image files.

        It is expected that later versions of KSpread feature scripting
        and macro recording facilities. It is, however, not intended
        to include active content into the KSpread document itself.

        KSpread documents include document metadata such as the name of
        the author, etc. However, none of this data is written
        automatically. The KSpread user has full control over what
        metadata is to be included and must actively request the
        inclusion. As such, the use of this mimetype does not lead to
        hidden leaking of possibly sensitive data.

Interoperability considerations:

        Earlier versions of KOffice (<= 1.1) used gzip-compressed UNIX
        tar files as archive format. It is expected that this obsolete
        format will die out soon after the first release of KOffice
        1.2. Thus, this registration does not apply to the obsolete
        format. Implementations are expected to use the old
        application/x-kspread mime type for the obsolete format.

Published specification:

        A KSpread document consists of a series of XML streams and
        externally generated content which are bundled together as a
        ZIP archive.

        Any content placed in KSpread can either be completely embedded
        in the KSpread document or can be linked to using URIs.

        The DTDs used in KOffice can be obtained from
        http://www.koffice.org/DTD/.

        A description of the storage format is contained in the source
        code distribution (lib/store/SPEC). The current version can be
        obtained online via KDE's WebCVS interface:
        http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/koffice/lib/store/SPEC

Applications which use this media type:

        All applications in the KDE KOffice Office Suite, esp. KSpread.

Additional information:

        Magic numbers: This is an entry that can be used with the
                       UNIX file(1) command's magic(4) file:
                 0    string   PK\003\004
                 >30  string   mimetype
                 >>38 string   application/vnd.kde.kspread
        File extensions: KSP
        Macintosh File Type Codes: n/a

Person & email address to contact for further information:

        David Faure <faure at kde.org>

Intended usage: COMMON

Author/Change contoller: Marc Mutz <mutz at kde.org>

***KPresenter***

To: ietf-types at iana.org
Subject: Registration of MIME media type application/vnd.kde.kpresenter

MIME media type name: application

MIME subtype name: vnd.kde.kpresenter

Required parameters: none

Optional parameters: none

Encoding considerations: Binary or base64 required

Security considerations:

        As of this writing, KPresenter documents do not contain any
active
        content. As such, it is believed that usage of this mimetype
        does not introduce security concerns other than those already
        inherent in ZIP archives, XML files and supported image files.

        It is expected that later versions of KPresenter feature
scripting
        and macro recording facilities. It is, however, not intended
        to include active content into the KPresenter document itself.

        KPresenter documents include document metadata such as the name
of
        the author, etc. However, none of this data is written
        automatically. The KPresenter user has full control over what
        metadata is to be included and must actively request the
        inclusion. As such, the use of this mimetype does not lead to
        hidden leaking of possibly sensitive data.

Interoperability considerations:

        Earlier versions of KOffice (<= 1.1) used gzip-compressed UNIX
        tar files as archive format. It is expected that this obsolete
        format will die out soon after the first release of KOffice
        1.2. Thus, this registration does not apply to the obsolete
        format. Implementations are expected to use the old
        application/x-kpresenter mime type for the obsolete format.

Published specification:

        A KPresenter document consists of a series of XML streams and
        externally generated content which are bundled together as a
        ZIP archive.

        Any content placed in KPresenter can either be completely
embedded
        in the KPresenter document or can be linked to using URIs.

        The DTDs used in KOffice can be obtained from
        http://www.koffice.org/DTD/.

        A description of the storage format is contained in the source
        code distribution (lib/store/SPEC). The current version can be
        obtained online via KDE's WebCVS interface:
        http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/koffice/lib/store/SPEC

Applications which use this media type:

        All applications in the KDE KOffice Office Suite, esp.
KPresenter.

Additional information:

        Magic numbers: This is an entry that can be used with the
                       UNIX file(1) command's magic(4) file:
                 0    string   PK\003\004
                 >30  string   mimetype
                 >>38 string   application/vnd.kde.kpresenter
        File extensions: KPR, KPT
        Macintosh File Type Codes: n/a

Person & email address to contact for further information:

        David Faure <faure at kde.org>

Intended usage: COMMON

Author/Change contoller: Marc Mutz <mutz at kde.org>

***KFormula***

To: ietf-types at iana.org
Subject: Registration of MIME media type application/vnd.kde.kformula

MIME media type name: application

MIME subtype name: vnd.kde.kformula

Required parameters: none

Optional parameters: none

Encoding considerations: Binary or base64 required

Security considerations:

        As of this writing, KFormula documents do not contain any active
        content. As such, it is believed that usage of this mimetype
        does not introduce security concerns other than those already
        inherent in ZIP archives, XML files and supported image files.

        It is expected that later versions of KFormula feature scripting
        and macro recording facilities. It is, however, not intended
        to include active content into the KFormula document itself.

        KFormula documents include document metadata such as the name of
        the author, etc. However, none of this data is written
        automatically. The KFormula user has full control over what
        metadata is to be included and must actively request the
        inclusion. As such, the use of this mimetype does not lead to
        hidden leaking of possibly sensitive data.

Interoperability considerations:

        Earlier versions of KOffice (<= 1.1) used gzip-compressed UNIX
        tar files as archive format. It is expected that this obsolete
        format will die out soon after the first release of KOffice
        1.2. Thus, this registration does not apply to the obsolete
        format. Implementations are expected to use the old
        application/x-kformula mime type for the obsolete format.

Published specification:

        A KFormula document consists of a series of XML streams and
        externally generated content which are bundled together as a
        ZIP archive.

        Any content placed in KFormula can either be completely embedded
        in the KFormula document or can be linked to using URIs.

        The DTDs used in KOffice can be obtained from
        http://www.koffice.org/DTD/.

        A description of the storage format is contained in the source
        code distribution (lib/store/SPEC). The current version can be
        obtained online via KDE's WebCVS interface:
        http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/koffice/lib/store/SPEC

Applications which use this media type:

        All applications in the KDE KOffice Office Suite, esp. KFormula.

Additional information:

        Magic numbers: This is an entry that can be used with the
                       UNIX file(1) command's magic(4) file:
                 0    string   PK\003\004
                 >30  string   mimetype
                 >>38 string   application/vnd.kde.kformula
        File extensions: KFO
        Macintosh File Type Codes: n/a

Person & email address to contact for further information:

        David Faure <faure at kde.org>

Intended usage: COMMON

Author/Change contoller: Marc Mutz <mutz at kde.org>

***KChart***

To: ietf-types at iana.org
Subject: Registration of MIME media type application/vnd.kde.kchart

MIME media type name: application

MIME subtype name: vnd.kde.kchart

Required parameters: none

Optional parameters: none

Encoding considerations: Binary or base64 required

Security considerations:

        As of this writing, KChart documents do not contain any active
        content. As such, it is believed that usage of this mimetype
        does not introduce security concerns other than those already
        inherent in ZIP archives, XML files and supported image files.

        It is expected that later versions of KChart feature scripting
        and macro recording facilities. It is, however, not intended
        to include active content into the KChart document itself.

        KChart documents include document metadata such as the name of
        the author, etc. However, none of this data is written
        automatically. The KChart user has full control over what
        metadata is to be included and must actively request the
        inclusion. As such, the use of this mimetype does not lead to
        hidden leaking of possibly sensitive data.

Interoperability considerations:

        Earlier versions of KOffice (<= 1.1) used gzip-compressed UNIX
        tar files as archive format. It is expected that this obsolete
        format will die out soon after the first release of KOffice
        1.2. Thus, this registration does not apply to the obsolete
        format. Implementations are expected to use the old
        application/x-kchart mime type for the obsolete format.

Published specification:

        A KChart document consists of a series of XML streams and
        externally generated content which are bundled together as a
        ZIP archive.

        Any content placed in KChart can either be completely embedded
        in the KChart document or can be linked to using URIs.

        The DTDs used in KOffice can be obtained from
        http://www.koffice.org/DTD/.

        A description of the storage format is contained in the source
        code distribution (lib/store/SPEC). The current version can be
        obtained online via KDE's WebCVS interface:
        http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/koffice/lib/store/SPEC

Applications which use this media type:

        All applications in the KDE KOffice Office Suite, esp. KChart.

Additional information:

        Magic numbers: This is an entry that can be used with the
                       UNIX file(1) command's magic(4) file:
                 0    string   PK\003\004
                 >30  string   mimetype
                 >>38 string   application/vnd.kde.kchart
        File extensions: CHRT
        Macintosh File Type Codes: n/a

Person & email address to contact for further information:

        David Faure <faure at kde.org>

Intended usage: COMMON

Author/Change contoller: Marc Mutz <mutz at kde.org>

***Kivio***

To: ietf-types at iana.org
Subject: Registration of MIME media type application/vnd.kde.kivio

MIME media type name: application

MIME subtype name: vnd.kde.kivio

Required parameters: none

Optional parameters: none

Encoding considerations: Binary or base64 required

Security considerations:

        As of this writing, Kivio documents do not contain any active
        content. As such, it is believed that usage of this mimetype
        does not introduce security concerns other than those already
        inherent in ZIP archives, XML files and supported image files.

        It is expected that later versions of Kivio feature scripting
        and macro recording facilities. It is, however, not intended
        to include active content into the Kivio document itself.

        Kivio documents include document metadata such as the name of
        the author, etc. However, none of this data is written
        automatically. The Kivio user has full control over what
        metadata is to be included and must actively request the
        inclusion. As such, the use of this mimetype does not lead to
        hidden leaking of possibly sensitive data.

Interoperability considerations:

        Earlier versions of KOffice (<= 1.1) used gzip-compressed UNIX
        tar files as archive format. It is expected that this obsolete
        format will die out soon after the first release of KOffice
        1.2. Thus, this registration does not apply to the obsolete
        format. Implementations are expected to use the old
        application/x-kivio mime type for the obsolete format.

Published specification:

        A Kivio document consists of a series of XML streams and
        externally generated content which are bundled together as a
        ZIP archive.

        Any content placed in Kivio can either be completely embedded
        in the Kivio document or can be linked to using URIs.

        The DTDs used in KOffice can be obtained from
        http://www.koffice.org/DTD/.

        A description of the storage format is contained in the source
        code distribution (lib/store/SPEC). The current version can be
        obtained online via KDE's WebCVS interface:
        http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/koffice/lib/store/SPEC

Applications which use this media type:

        All applications in the KDE KOffice Office Suite, esp. Kivio.

Additional information:

        Magic numbers: This is an entry that can be used with the
                       UNIX file(1) command's magic(4) file:
                 0    string   PK\003\004
                 >30  string   mimetype
                 >>38 string   application/vnd.kde.kivio
        File extensions: FLW
        Macintosh File Type Codes: n/a

Person & email address to contact for further information:

        David Faure <faure at kde.org>

Intended usage: COMMON

Author/Change contoller: Marc Mutz <mutz at kde.org>

***Kontour***

To: ietf-types at iana.org
Subject: Registration of MIME media type application/vnd.kde.kontour

MIME media type name: application

MIME subtype name: vnd.kde.kontour

Required parameters: none

Optional parameters: none

Encoding considerations: Binary or base64 required

Security considerations:

        As of this writing, Kontour documents do not contain any active
        content. As such, it is believed that usage of this mimetype
        does not introduce security concerns other than those already
        inherent in ZIP archives, XML files and supported image files.

        It is expected that later versions of Kontour feature scripting
        and macro recording facilities. It is, however, not intended
        to include active content into the Kontour document itself.

        Kontour documents include document metadata such as the name of
        the author, etc. However, none of this data is written
        automatically. The Kontour user has full control over what
        metadata is to be included and must actively request the
        inclusion. As such, the use of this mimetype does not lead to
        hidden leaking of possibly sensitive data.

Interoperability considerations:

        Earlier versions of KOffice (<= 1.1) used gzip-compressed UNIX
        tar files as archive format. It is expected that this obsolete
        format will die out soon after the first release of KOffice
        1.2. Thus, this registration does not apply to the obsolete
        format. Implementations are expected to use the old
        application/x-kontour mime type for the obsolete format.

Published specification:

        A Kontour document consists of a series of XML streams and
        externally generated content which are bundled together as a
        ZIP archive.

        Any content placed in Kontour can either be completely embedded
        in the Kontour document or can be linked to using URIs.

        The DTDs used in KOffice can be obtained from
        http://www.koffice.org/DTD/.

        A description of the storage format is contained in the source
        code distribution (lib/store/SPEC). The current version can be
        obtained online via KDE's WebCVS interface:
        http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/koffice/lib/store/SPEC

Applications which use this media type:

        All applications in the KDE KOffice Office Suite, esp. Kontour.

Additional information:

        Magic numbers: This is an entry that can be used with the
                       UNIX file(1) command's magic(4) file:
                 0    string   PK\003\004
                 >30  string   mimetype
                 >>38 string   application/vnd.kde.kontour
        File extensions: KON
        Macintosh File Type Codes: n/a

Person & email address to contact for further information:

        David Faure <faure at kde.org>

Intended usage: COMMON

Author/Change contoller: Marc Mutz <mutz at kde.org>

***Karbon***

To: ietf-types at iana.org
Subject: Registration of MIME media type application/vnd.kde.karbon

MIME media type name: application

MIME subtype name: vnd.kde.karbon

Required parameters: none

Optional parameters: none

Encoding considerations: Binary or base64 required

Security considerations:

        As of this writing, Karbon documents do not contain any active
        content. As such, it is believed that usage of this mimetype
        does not introduce security concerns other than those already
        inherent in ZIP archives, XML files and supported image files.

        It is expected that later versions of Karbon feature scripting
        and macro recording facilities. It is, however, not intended
        to include active content into the Karbon document itself.

        Karbon documents include document metadata such as the name of
        the author, etc. However, none of this data is written
        automatically. The Karbon user has full control over what
        metadata is to be included and must actively request the
        inclusion. As such, the use of this mimetype does not lead to
        hidden leaking of possibly sensitive data.

Interoperability considerations:

        Earlier versions of KOffice (<= 1.1) used gzip-compressed UNIX
        tar files as archive format. It is expected that this obsolete
        format will die out soon after the first release of KOffice
        1.2. Thus, this registration does not apply to the obsolete
        format. Implementations are expected to use the old
        application/x-karbon mime type for the obsolete format.

Published specification:

        A Karbon document consists of a series of XML streams and
        externally generated content which are bundled together as a
        ZIP archive.

        Any content placed in Karbon can either be completely embedded
        in the Karbon document or can be linked to using URIs.

        The DTDs used in KOffice can be obtained from
        http://www.koffice.org/DTD/.

        A description of the storage format is contained in the source
        code distribution (lib/store/SPEC). The current version can be
        obtained online via KDE's WebCVS interface:
        http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/koffice/lib/store/SPEC

Applications which use this media type:

        All applications in the KDE KOffice Office Suite, esp. Karbon.

Additional information:

        Magic numbers: This is an entry that can be used with the
                       UNIX file(1) command's magic(4) file:
                 0    string   PK\003\004
                 >30  string   mimetype
                 >>38 string   application/vnd.kde.karbon
        File extensions: KARBON
        Macintosh File Type Codes: n/a

Person & email address to contact for further information:

        David Faure <faure at kde.org>

Intended usage: COMMON

Author/Change contoller: Marc Mutz <mutz at kde.org>

- --