kpanelextension

John Firebaugh jfirebaugh at kde.org
Thu May 23 20:10:48 BST 2002

On Thursday 23 May 2002 11:06, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> doing some further work in simplifying and standardizing kicker and its
> configuration, i've removed the extensions panel from the kcm and made the
> extensions and the main panel use identical settings for things like hiding
> and orientation.
>
> however, in doing so i ran into a snag w/regard to KPanelExtension. to be
> able to propagate the size changes to the extensions from outside the
> extension itself, i needed to add a protected virtual method to
> KPanelExtension due to the way it is designed.
>
> it handled position and orientation, but not size (!) ... very strange.

The idea is that it's the extension itself that decides the size, hence the
sizeHint() method. Setting a size (like Small, Normal, Large, Custom, etc.)
is appropriate only for the child panel extension. Other extensions may
decide the size based on their position and the desktop size.

> attached is the patch again KPanelExtension. thoughts? ideas? magic wand
> waving that will make this unecessary?

It would probably be ok to break BC in this case, but I don't think that the
change you are suggesting is appropriate. What leads you to want to do this?

-John