startup time: autostart

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at sh.cvut.cz
Wed May 22 06:27:48 BST 2002

On Tuesday 21 May 2002 21:58, Matthias Ettrich wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 May 2002 21:25, Rolf Magnus wrote:
> > On Tuesday 21 May 2002 20:34, Matthias Ettrich wrote:
> > > Some apps never map a window. We could introduce a DCOP signal
> > > upAndRunning(appname) that the apps emit when they are really ready,
> > > and store this in the desktop file.
> > >
> > > Hmm.. this looks very much like startup notification, doesn't it?

 Yes. But I'm a bit short on time these days. It shouldn't be that hard to
use, though.

> > What about non-kde apps?
>
> The problem we are trying to solve is that a default KDE desktop with
> kicker, kdesktop and klipper in autostart doesn't start up as fast as it
> could.
>
> This has little to do with non-KDE apps.
>
> If users adds plenty of applications to autostart, they will understand
> that startup takes a bit longer. The same happens when a session gets
> restored, for safety everything except the window manager gets started at
> the same time.

 Any example why this "safety" is needed? For me, session restoring is at
least half of the startup time (~6 Konsoles, Licq, 2xKBiff, sometimes KMail
or some Konqy instances), so doing something about this would at least for
some people probably help too.

 Hmm, and using startup notification would help with the fact that splash is
already gone and I still can't see half of the restored apps running. A bit
annoying since the days startup notify is disabled during KDE startup.

 But I agree that we can't do much about the autostart folder, as there's
nothing guaranteed about the apps launched from there.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 l.lunak at email.cz ; l.lunak at kde.org
 http://dforce.sh.cvut.cz/~seli