startup time: autostart

Matthias Ettrich ettrich at trolltech.com
Tue May 21 20:58:19 BST 2002

On Tuesday 21 May 2002 21:25, Rolf Magnus wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 May 2002 20:34, Matthias Ettrich wrote:
> > Some apps never map a window. We could introduce a DCOP signal
> > upAndRunning(appname) that the apps emit when they are really ready, and
> > store this in the desktop file.
>
> What about non-kde apps?

The problem we are trying to solve is that a default KDE desktop with kicker,
kdesktop and klipper in autostart doesn't start up as fast as it could.

This has little to do with non-KDE apps.

If users adds plenty of applications to autostart, they will understand that
startup takes a bit longer. The same happens when a session gets restored,
for safety everything except the window manager gets started at the same
time.

 Matthias