Draft template for registration of KOffice mimetypes (last call)

David Faure david at mandrakesoft.com
Mon May 20 21:46:08 BST 2002

On Monday 20 May 2002 22:02, Marc Mutz wrote:

> On Monday 20 May 2002 21:14, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> <snip>
> > >         KApp documents include document metadata such as the name
> > > of the author, etc. However, none of this data is written
> > > automatically. The KApp user has full control over what metadata is
> > > to be included and must actively request the inclusion. As such,
> > > the use of this mimetype does not lead to hidden leaking of
> > > possibly sensitive data.
> >
> > That seems wrong to me too! (At least for KWord.)
> >
> > The document information *is* automatically written. And the default
> > information is not empty (for example author name and email address)
>
> Last time I looked at a fresh KWord document, all fields in the
> "Document Info" dialog were blank. Did this change in the meantime?

No.

> > The "full control" is the dialog in which you can edit the document
> > information. However, you have to do it again for each file.
> <snip>
>
> IIUYC, KWord writes default author information without asking the user?
> Like extracting the full name from /etc/passwd and writing that into
> every document that the user creates???

No.

Ok, from looking more into the code (koffice/lib/kofficecore/koDocumentInfo*),
here's what happens currently:
* by default the documentinfo.xml is empty
* when opening the documentinfo dialog, that one get pre-filled with
the entries entered the last time in that dialog (stuff saved in "kofficerc").
The user can then delete anything that shouldn't be added, for instance.
* The information coming from kofficerc is completed (where empty)
by the information from the KControl email module (the "emaildefaults" config file).
This is also when OPENING THE DIALOG. Users who don't open that dialog
(and press Ok) in it, get nothing in the documentinfo.xml.

That's what I see from the code, please shout if you see a different behaviour
during actual testing.

David FAURE, david at mandrakesoft.com, faure at kde.org
http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david/