Draft template for registration of KOffice mimetypes (last call)

Marc Mutz Marc.Mutz at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon May 20 13:37:13 BST 2002

Hi!

Now that the ZIP format has arrived in KOffice, we can finally register
the KOffice mime types.

Please read the template thouroughly, since I intend to send it to the
ietf-types mailing list for a two-week comment period before it goes
into the IANA registry.

I have changed the magic numbers from what I found in kdelibs/kio/magic
in anticipation that the new mime types will also be used internally
(at least you already test for both app/x-kapp and app/vnd.kde.kapp in
the source).

Registration of KOffice MimeTypes as per rfc 2048:

Replace KApp and kapp with the particular koffice application name.
Please tell me for which KOffice apps this template holds and for
which it needs modifications.

To: ietf-types at iana.org
Subject: Registration of MIME media type application/vnd.kde.kapp

MIME media type name: application

MIME subtype name: vnd.kde.kapp

Required parameters: none

Optional parameters: none

Encoding considerations: Binary or base64 required

Security considerations:

        As of this writing, KApp documents do not contain any active
        content. As such, it is believed that usage of this mimetype
        does not introduce security concerns other than those already
        inherent in ZIP archives, XML files and supported image files.

        It is expected that later versions of KApp feature scripting
        and macro recording facilities. It is, however, not intended
        to include these active content into the KApp document itself.

        KApp documents include document metadata such as the name of
        the author, etc. However, none of this data is written
        automatically. The KApp user has full control over what
        metadata is to be included and must actively request the
        inclusion. As such, the use of this mimetype does not lead to
        hidden leaking of possibly sensitive data.

Interoperability considerations:

        Earlier versions of KOffice (<= 1.1) used gzip-compressed UNIX
        tar files as archive format. It is expected that the obsolete
        format will die out soon after the first release of KOffice
        1.2. Thus, this registration does not apply to the obsolete
        format. Implementations are expected to use the old
        application/x-kapp mime type for the obsolete format.

Published specification:

        A KApp document consists of a series of XML streams and
        externally generated content which are bundled together as a
        ZIP archive.

        Any content placed in KApp can either be completely embedded
        in the KApp document or can be linked to using URIs.

        The DTDs used in KOffice can be obtained from
        http://www.koffice.org/DTD/ (### insert correct path)

        A description of the storage format is contained in the source
        code distribution (lib/store/SPEC). The current version can be
        obtained online via KDE's WebCVS interface:
        http://webcvs.kde.org/fetch.pl?koffice/lib/store/SPEC(### insert
correct path)

Applications which use this media type:

        All applications in the KDE KOffice Office Suite, esp. KApp.

Additional information:

        Magic numbers: This is an entry that can be used with the
                       UNIX file(1) command's magic(4) file:
                 0    string   PK\003\004
                 >30  string   mimetype
                 >>38 string   application/vnd.kde.kapp
        File extentsions: KAP, KAPP
        Macintosh File Type Codes: n/a

Person & email address to contact for further information:

        David Faure <faure at kde.org>

Intended usage: COMMON

Author/Change contoller: Marc Mutz <mutz at kde.org>

- --